Sunday 22 July 2012

Soap Spell

Soap spell
There seems to be a lull in the soap making this month. The rains are here at last we hope. Things are greening up at the back... forest land. Monsoon treks are in.. the one to Korigad turned out to be as easy as pie and loads of fun. No rain on top of the fort though which was good , as it was windy enough to carry one of the cliff and being soaking wet would have been uncomfortable. There are a couple of good photos on facebook.

Orange peel scrub soap, neem and tulsi soap and green tea and lemon grass

Lavender, oatmeal and rose soap
 As I havent said why I was named soap witch by my friend Malika Virdi might as well show you some stuff I do. All my soap is made with olive oil as a main ingredient and its all natural except for the sodium hydroxide without which there is no such thing as soap. That is called lye and mixed up with fat it turns magically,(or chemically) into three parts soap and one part pure vegetable glycerin... which in the case of handmade soap stays in the cake to moisturise your skin... unlike commercial soap. So its good for your skin.
I make two kinds of soap. Hot and cold process. Suffice it to say, when I want to get arty I make cold process and do all the fancy swirls and pretty colours, and when I want to do honest to goodness, extra superfatted with olive oil, soap I do hot process. the latter takes more effort and doesnt look so good and the former looks great and takes a minimum month and a half to cure. The photos above are both about hot process soap.

These are cold process... orange and vanilla, rose and lavender and multani mitti and lavender coffee coloured.

Cold process cupcakes, and shaving soap. Some more photos and updates will follow. My brand is Olive and I market only from home and now can do on the net.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Soapwitch,
    Here's to boiling cauldrons of sweet-smelling soap. May the spells be cast! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete